‘Tis the season to kick butts
Put stop smoking on your holiday to-do list
Holiday shopping, long road trips, family get-togethers, party planning and a busy social calendar can add to your stress during the holiday season. You may want to reach for a pack of smokes to deal with it all, but don’t think that you need to give up your goal of quitting smoking just because of the holidays. It’s important to make a plan to quit and find people who can help you quit. Sometimes a call to the behavioral health support team can provide guidance in the early steps of a successful plan.
Use these tips to help you stick with your decision to quit.
1. Keep your reasons for quitting top of mind. When you feel the strong urge to light up, remember all the reasons why you’re trying to quit. Although family members may be the reason you want to smoke, they could also be the reason you want to stop. Think about upcoming holidays and how much better they’ll be next year when you don’t feel the need to smoke.
2. Stay busy. The holidays could actually work in your favor when you need to find a distraction to help you quit smoking. Take a spin around the mall or wrap gifts to pass the time. Even if you’ve finished wrapping your own gifts, offer to wrap a family member’s gifts.
3. Get rid of smoking reminders. This includes cigarettes, lighters, matches and ashtrays.
4. Avoid or spend less time with those who smoke. Smoking is often a social behavior and avoiding people who smoke is helpful.
5. Identify your triggers. Smoking becomes part of your life. Certain people, feelings or activities may trigger a craving to smoke. Figure out how you can avoid or deal with these triggers.
Healthy hint: If you cope with a smoke, come up with a different plan ahead of time. If you’re an Anthem Blue Cross member, take a look at the Discounts section on anthem.com/ca to learn about available tools and discounts on products to help you quit smoking.
The road to good health is yours to travel. But you don't have to do it alone. Whether you're managing a health condition or making changes in your life like quitting bad habits or getting in shape - we can help. Check out our new classes and resources below. Contact us to set personalized health and wellness goals and learn about the programs available to you.